International Research

Feb 19, 2016 10:30 am

In order for UM researchers to conduct a research project outside of the U.S., the foreign host hospital/research center must negotiate an International Assurance Agreement with the Office of International Activities (OIA) in the Office of Human Research Protections (OHRP) in the federal Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS). Consult the following OHRP website to see if your host institution already has an assurance agreement on file: 

The OIA will require the foreign host hospital/research center have or set up an IRB or similar committee to review the research project. In some situations, the local health ministry or institutional ethics committee serves in this capacity.


Contact us at or 734-763-4768 / (Fax 734-763-1234)

2800 Plymouth Road, Building 520, Room 3214, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2800

A list of IRBMED staff is available in the Personnel Directory, or view the list of Regulatory Teams.

Edited By:
Last Updated: May 10, 2018 1:00 PM